I went to my nutritionist friend last week for lunch and she preferred eating at home rather than going to the restaurant as planned. She wanted me to try some new recipes of hers. Thus, I am sharing with you her leek soup recipe.
- 4 large leeks, cleaned and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound kale stemmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions (white and dark green parts)
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup almond milk
- Iodized salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Steam the kale, leeks, garlic, parsley, walnuts and green onions over medium heat in a soup pot. Stir for about 5-10 minutes until tender. Let cool off just a bit.
- Puree the steamed combination in a blender.
- Pour this mixture into the soup pot. Add coconut oil, almond milk, salt and ground pepper to taste. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper if desired. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Cover and let simmer for 30 minutes at low heat.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings.