Tea is to the mind and to the body but it may not mean a thing to you. Tea may soothe someone’s hurt feelings whereas it may bring you nostalgia of a forgotten past. Tea may be of health benefit to you whereas it may create havoc in my system. The affection for tea is personal and relative. Enjoy it if you so desire. Anything forced carries no love.
Are you a tea aficionado? Are you the one who is deliberating on which tea to choose? Do you totally dislike tea? Do you think of tea at a specific moment in your life? No matter where you fall on the scale, tea has been tooted throughout times for its properties. Each tea has its specific and diverse virtues.
Today thanks to the internet and the availability of a variety of teas, there is a tremendous choice out there for every taste bud. I myself love dark and strong teas. You in turn may like the light ones such as chamomile or mint. Each tea has its worth in medicinal properties.
I do not profess to have done medical research on tea so I am not selling you a perfect truth, besides that truth is not absolute. Nothing in life is. What was yesterday is no longer today and likewise today’s beliefs will be different tomorrow. Some things remain universal although some aspects of them may see some changes along the way. Everything vibrates. Every has rhythm. Ebb and flow. In and out.
So when we think of tea and we look for benefits, we get a lesson from knowledge passed on down from generation to generation. There might have been some alteration in concept here and there but the bottom line is the same. There are tons of websites describing the value of each herb. So why limit our taste buds?
Teas are categorized as black, white, green and some others. Some documented medicinal properties are written below.
- Black teas have a lot of caffeine and they are claimed to protect the lungs from damage caused by cigarette smoke.
- White teas appear to protect from cancer.
- Green teas are also tooted for cancer protection, improve cholesterol levels and burn fat among others.
Here is a short list of teas and their properties:
- chamomile is an anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and sedative. It is effective for nausea and vomiting, ulcers, heartburn, relaxation and insomnia.
- Peppermint is a carminative and an antispasmodic. It helps with gas, bloating, stomach cramps, and acidity. It also helps with tension headache.
- Ginger helps relieve morning sickness, nausea, vomiting, arthritis and migraine.
- Cinnamon lowers blood glucose level, LDL (the bad cholesterol) and triglycerides. It helps with flatulence and calms the stomach.
I would like to also address tea as a delicacy for enjoyable moments. Tea is not to be seen only as having medicinal properties. It is a drink that can bring two friends together at a Starbucks or a Caribou Coffee. It can be used for the purpose of gathering friends for an afternoon tea party with other accompaniments. It can be enjoyed simply on a rainy day or an early morning break.
To all those who prefer coffee to tea but yet cannot tolerate coffee like I do, I would recommend you try a Teeccino coffee which is caffeine free and made from herbs, grains, fruits and nuts. It is a bit expensive but well-worth the price. The health benefits of the Teeccino coffees and teas are stupendous.
May a cup of hot tea bring you serenity and peace one moment at a time!!!!